Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Yellow Wallpaper.

This is not the first time I've read this story, but it is the first time I've fully understood what Gilman was writing about. The story deals with postpartum depression and obsession. In it the main character is on bed-rest due to hear husband's wishes. She has no say in what her treatment is and this seems typical for the time this story takes place in. Her husband even refers to her as a "little-girl", she has no ability to be an independent woman. What I enjoyed about this story was the detail. The main character goes into great detail when describing the intricacy of the wallpaper in her room. The wallpaper becomes like a living, breathing entity throughout the course of the story and it is nice to see that progression. Her obsession with the wallpaper at night reminds me of one of my own obsessions. My closest door is open at night and during this time nothing can be seen in it. It is very mysterious and frightening at the same time. I fear peering at it too long because I imagine something might come out of it. However, this is all in my imagination. Reading this story for a second time has helped me to truly understand what it means and allowed me to look into myself afterwards.
                                                                                                    -Michael Frazier

No comments:

Post a Comment