Sunday, January 9, 2011

Blog Posting for 1/11/11.

This week we were required to read three short stories. "The White Heron", "The Notorious Jumping from of Caleveras County" and "Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge". I'd like to explain the third one in more detail because that one pulled me in the most. The setting of the story is at Owl Creek Bridge during the Civil War period in the United States. The main character, Peyton Fahrquhar, is being hung for interference with Union Soldier's plan to rebuild the bridge. Peyton, a Confederate Army sympathizer never did have a chance to fight in the war so he tries to help be sabotaging the Union Soldier's efforts. I don't summarize the entire story because I feel that would be too redundant, especially to the people who have already read the piece.  What I like most about this story is its whole take on the idea that one's life flashes before their eyes. Instead, Peyton's escape from his situation came to his mind. The entire story is mostly focused on this and it is very vivid. You can almost imagine being with Peyton as he is making his perilous escape down the river. The thing that surprised me most was the way Union soldiers were portrayed in this story. What they do to Peyton in something you wouldn't expect from the "good-guys" of the Civil War. It really turns the whole idea of good/evil on its head. I did enjoy the other two stories as well, but I guess I'm not experienced in reading Twain yet so it didn't have the effect on me that it should have had. I'm still getting used to his humor and use of irony in his stories, but I'll grasp the idea sooner or later.
                                                               -Michael Frazier

No comments:

Post a Comment