Saturday, January 29, 2011

To Build A Fire.

To Build A Fire by Jack London was a very satisfying read in my opinion. It made me appreciate the fact that the weather where I live could be harsher, but isn't. The story centers around a man in the Yukon trekking across its terrain. The only companion he has is a unnamed dog. The weather of the area isn't a character, but it does play an integral part in this story. It is the antagonist of the story and drives what the man does, most of which seems instinctual. For example, when the man has to beat on his chest to relieve the numbing sensation in his hands. London describes the man's struggle to get warm in extreme detail, it made empathize with the man even more. If I had to categorize the perspective/World View of this story I'd say it's a realist perspective. Especially in the way it end, however, the climax seemed to have some elements of naturalism. I'm not sure what else I can say about this story, hopefully I'll learn more about it when we discuss it in class.
                                                                                                        - Michael Frazier

No comments:

Post a Comment